Find me on...

Chip Watts's Facebook profile

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Twenty-Third Wedding Anniversary


Today is our twenty-third wedding anniversary. As usual, bumping up against Christmas and coinciding with the celebration of Melody's dad's birthday, it's hard for us to do anything special. Add two kids to the mix, one being just under 21 months old, and it's even harder to pause and reflect or give recognition to our day.

But this morning I was listening to an old cassette tape as I drove to work. It's 2008 but I still have yet to drive a work car with a CD player - I let Melody drive the newer vehicles. Anyway, I was listening to an old tape searching for interesting stuff to transfer to MP3 or CD. The tape I had in was a compilation of stuff I recorded back in the very early eighties. There were several songs I wrote for Melody when we started dating, and then...

Then I heard Melody's 17 year old voice (and laugh) coming from my tape player as she was being interviewed on local radio prior to participating in and winning the Miss Lee County Fair competition in 1981.

The tape also has part of the contest and the announcement that "number 14, Melody Love" won. You can hear her little brother - who was nine then - calling out her name, trying to get her attention and then screaming as she wins.

At the very end you'll hear a very goofy 18 year old me saying "that's my girlfriend!" I was so excited and so happy for her.

And all these years later, I'm still crazy for this girl, my beauty queen, my garden spring, my well of fresh running water (Song of Solomon reference there).

This post and the recording below are part of her anniversary present.

Happy Anniversary, Melody.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Chip,
With this post you've taken anniversary blogposts to a whole new level! Great post! You guys really were childhood sweethearts, weren't you?

I remember the story Melody told (I think it was Melody but I could be wrong) abt when she worked at a steakhouse and she was excited to show her friends her new boyfriend who was outside in his car. So they all walked over to the window and there you were - picking your nose! Was this you guys?

Greg
http://suppliants.blogs.com

Chip said...

Oh, no. That couldn't have been me. I didn't even have a nose back then. Must have been one of Melody's other really gross boyfriends.

Melody said...

LOL! You were correct Greg. I didn't remember telling anyone that story - oh well.

Unknown said...

Hee hee! My memory retains lots of strange things!

Don't worry Chip - you're still my hero!

Greg