Find me on...

Chip Watts's Facebook profile

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Politics

Politics…

Yuk.

But you can’t get away from it today: Super Duper Tuesday.

I was raised Democrat, voted for president for the first time in Ronald Reagan’s second term when I was an undergraduate at App. My room-mates and I were really into the presidential and senatorial campaigns then. I caught the political bug then and read everything I could get my hands on. I registered as a Republican (like all my Christian friends seemed to be doing). At about this time the Evangelicals or the Christian Right became a dominant force in politics. And I really thought that if we could get the right people in office, everything would change. My big issue has always been abortion. It breaks my heart – really and truly.

I hoped the Religious Right and the Republicans would change things. Instead, I changed. Disgusted with Democrat and Republican politicians alike, I switched to Independent.

Still, I had that political bug and found myself tuning in to all the conservative radio shows (I was on the road a lot with my job). I still kept thinking maybe getting the right people in office would bring change – that abortion might finally be outlawed. But I realized that the politicians made lots of promises regarding abortion and other points of concern to me just to get votes. But they rarely delivered. There are other issues that matter to me, but I want to keep this post to the point so I won’t go into them now.

About a year ago I turned the radio off. I realized that the change I wanted would probably never come based on who I voted for. I began to believe that real change would only come as a result of prayer and faith-driven action. The greatest force for change is the Church – not as we vote, but as we serve and share and, especially, as we pray.

By the way, like several of my friends, I’m intrigued by all Bono is doing and inspiring in the area of faith-driven action.

That scripture verse that says “our citizenship is in heaven” sums up my new party affiliation. Though I’m still a registered independent, I consider myself a “Heavenist” (sounds like a cult, I know).

I’ll still vote, but I want my time in prayer to far outweigh my time following politics.

I really just don’t trust politicians. My wife told me a long time ago that no one can get that high up politically without stepping on a lot of people on the way. No one gets there clean. That has always stuck with me.

The way forward is not in the voting booth. It is in the prayer closet.

1 comment:

Hbomb said...

I'm with you Chip. I will vote but spend much more time in prayer for whomever actually makes it into office.
Just FYI - there has been lots of debate over Obama's religious affiliation. I encourage you to go read the tenants of his church and research whom his pastor received much of his training from. I think that might concern you more.