Find me on...

Chip Watts's Facebook profile

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Since I Am So Sick

Last night I spent some quality time with some family members who have been feeling a little neglected lately... my guitars.

I set all three of them out on the floor of our den. My oldest guitar - Mr. Kincaid - a burgundy Sigma who Alan Mearns once called "a plank of wood". My little travel guitar - Tiny Tina - who's last outing was for costume day at my work when I dressed as a rock star with a bushy yellow wig (view my Flickr page if you need a good laugh). And, finally, my really good guitar - Doris - the Larivee my dear wife surprised me with once for my birthday.

I polished all three and re-tuned Mr. Kinkaid and Tiny Tina. Mr. Kincaid takes a pounding every day as he's out on a guitar stand in the dining room and our 10-month old is learning to stand unsupported and is taking first steps (Bam! There goes Mr. Kincaid). Luckily for my son and for Mr. Kincaid, we have nice thick carpet. I leave Mr. Kincaid out as I'm more likely to play a few tunes if I don't have to drag out a guitar case and all that.

Now Doris received extra special attention. New strings, Lem-oil moisturizer on her fret board as well as a fret board rub down with extra fine steel wool. I even polished her chrome tuning pegs and tightened them up a bit.

I played each guitar a little then. On Mr. Kincaid I played "When Time Did Not Exist" by brother Rick Hoyle - one of the most Christ-like friends I ever had. On Tiny Tina I played "What A Friend I've Found" by Delirious. And Doris and I enjoyed playing "Lord Reign In Me" by Brenton Brown.

Here's a Waterdeep song ("Since I Am So Sick") Doris and I played in the den a couple of weeks ago. I used to record songs for my mom on a little cassette recorder and I'd give a tape full to her for birthdays or just whenever. The cassette player is broken and I can't afford a CD recorder, so I did this simple video and uploaded it to YouTube for her.

Due to some technical error with my video camera, I appear to be losing my hair. The boys down at pre-production are looking into solutions even as you read this post.

But isn't Doris beautiful?

No comments: