Find me on...

Chip Watts's Facebook profile

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Computer Golf



I feel like I'm playing computer golf when it comes to fellowship.

I've played real golf some in the past. I have good memories of playing a few rounds with my dad. I remember playing with different friends on different courses - most notably in the beautiful northern mountains of North Carolina. To me, the game was always secondary to the scenery and the conversation. My dad frequently reminds me of a time that I was writing poetry in the fareway instead of really concentrating on the game (I still have that poem - about Autumn leaves and my grandmother's death).

But then there's computer golf. Take away the conversation, the sunshine, the wind in my face, the sounds of birds and of cars on the highway nearby. Take away the good exercise, the smell of fresh mown grass... All you have left is points calculated by the computer, lots of mouse clicks, and imitation golf swing sounds.

I've had such good fellowship experiences throughout my life. My mind easily overflows with faces of good friends who walked together with me and the Lord. Ministry times, worship times, learning and growing together times, experiencing the sweet, sweet Spirit in so many places.

But right now, my fellowship experiences are few and far between and mostly shallow. I've prayed for some time that God would rescue us from this dry place we're in spiritually and let us experience genuine fellowship again. I'm still praying, seeking, and trusting God for it.

Just recently I enjoyed a wonderful conversation on Facebook regarding fellowship. Friends of mine who are actively involved in House Church, Organic Church, Simple Church (whatever you want to call it) were sharing their experiences. Friends in Mississippi, Colorado, and Boone, NC, carried on a conversation with my oldest friend who is a Southern Baptist pastor here in central North Carolina. What they described was so refreshing!

I was so inspired as my friends shared their current and recent fellowship experiences. It filled me with hope and I've been praying more urgently that God would similarly bless us, that He would lead us into new relationships and beautiful new experiences. I want my children to grow up experiencing life-giving communion and fellowship with other believers.

I know God has more for us than these plastic, surfacy acquaintances and interactions we are currently experiencing in the traditional church we're attending.

That's why I'm blogging again. I want to record the miracle of being lifted out of the ordinary, into the extraordinary in this area.

No more computer golf fellowship. I want the real thing again!

No comments: