Find me on...

Chip Watts's Facebook profile

Monday, January 28, 2008

Halfway Across The River

I often think of life in the Lord as a swim across a wide river against the current. The current is the world and the flesh. I'm sure the devil is involved in this opposing current, too, as are certain people in our lives.

Several years ago I heard the song "Find Me In The River" by Delirious for the first time. It was performed at the end of a church service during a time of prayer and ministry. It really moved me. Inspired by that song, on my way home, I made up this up tempo song portion (I never completed the song):


I'm halfway across the River,
or maybe not quite that far,
but I want to be where You are,
and I want to stay.

Some who started with me,
have gone on ahead.
Some have fallen behind,
and some just drifted away.

And, me, I'm getting weaker.
My strength is nearly gone.
As I swim against this current,
I'm barely holding on.

But I see You coming for me,
calling out my name.
Then there You are beside me,
and I feel Your strength again...

Halfway across the River.



At the time I wrote this, I was feeling all crushed in my spirit by some Christian leaders I felt spiritually beaten up by. I was working my way through to a place of genuine forgiveness. I was really feeling that opposing current, tempted at times to bail out on the fellowshipping together with believers altogether. But I kept pushing forward. I didn't drift away. I persevered and I was able to forgive. "Life is an adventure in forgiveness".

I'm 45 years old now - mid-life - "halfway across the River".

This past weekend that current rolled hard against me again.

I heard about a precious Christian friend from years ago who - in my song - would fall into the catagory of those who have drifted away. Hearing about my friend's willful plunge into sin broke my heart... Really, it did. I was depressed and discouraged all weekend.

But as I was moping around the house praying, "Oh, Lord... Oh, Lord..." God dropped a sliver of scripture into my mind. From 2 Corinthians 11:3: "...the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ..."

The full verse says: "But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ".

I also recalled that verse in First Corinthians that says, "For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

Hearing about this friend who has drifted away, I felt my foundation tremble. But that was because I was resting some portion of my faith on other people. Big mistake. I'm supposed to rest the full weight of my faith on the Lord Jesus Christ.

On that foundation I am to maintain a sweet simplicity of devotion to Christ. And I am to maintain a purity of devotion to Christ no matter what happens. I don't want to get caught up in religious traditions, for instance, that clutter my spirit. I don't want to be so busy working and taking care of my family that I don't spend time with my Best Friend.

I was thinking about this while I was holding my ten month old son last night, rocking back and forth and waiting for him to fall asleep. I had just prayed my favorite prayer over him: "Lord, find him like you found me". I've been praying that my son's faith will be beautiful as he grows up and that nothing or no one will ever distract him from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.

So I'm halfway across the river. Like a swimmer who takes a stroke and a kick with one arm and leg, then takes a stroke and a kick with the other arm and leg - I'm concentrating on the simplicity of devotion and the purity of devotion. Simplicity. Purity. Simplicity. Purity... Stroke after stroke -

Until I climb out on the other side of this River and fall down before my Savior in absolute worship.

His perfect love has washed over me, changed me, and saved me forever.

Amen.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! This brought tears to my eyes. I love "Find me in the River" and the words you wrote during that time speak so perfectly of the journey we are on as Christians. I think sometimes we get hurt because we expect more of people that call themselves Christians, but it is like you said that we tend to put a part of our faith in people instead of God. Great post, Chip.

Kim's Hotrod said...

I don't know that it's because we put our faith in people so much as it is that we rely on each other. God has made no man to be an island unto himself - we need each other. We are called to live together in unity. As one people. Similar to a marriage - giving all we have for each other, just as Christ did for us. So, it should come as no surprise when we feel hurt when a fellow friend and believer begins to turn away from that commitment. If we didn't hurt when someone walked away, that would be the time to worry.

It remains me of the Phil Keaggy song "It Could've Been Me"

"It could've been me,
I could've been the one
to lose my grip and fall.
It could've been me.
The one who's always
Standing tall.
For unless you hold me
tightly Lord,
And I can hold on too,
Then tomorrow in the news
it could be me.
It could be me."

ded said...

Thanks, Chip.

Enjoyed you sharing your heart so fully.

Chip said...

Good point, Rodney. That really brought clarity. I guess even though you don't see or talk to someone for years, deep down you somehow still rely on them to keep the faith. I know I often imagine all my old friends being reunited one day in heaven - and someone possibly missing from that reunion is heartbreaking.
And I have been thinking about that Keaggy song. DC Talk had a similar song, I think, called What If I Stumble.
By the way, we were disappointed that we didn't get to see you when you were in NC over Christmas. There's never enough time.
God bless you, brother.

Real Life Sarah said...

Your words are beautiful, Chip! I suppose that in your sorrow, you got just a taste of God's heart breaking for this lost sheep. I have been thinking lately about the scripture,

For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 1Cor 2:2

Paul knew the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ, and I long top know it, too.